Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 37 of the 2011 2012 school year - Thursday



Technology Thursday -- broken into two segments due to a unique singing day.

The first part, allowed us to put in our 20 minutes of typing.  We then had about 7 to 10 minutes to continue working on our math skills with www.ixl.com

They then had a special Thursday singing class.  

After singing, we had our weekly library visit.  The class behaved exceptionally well during their time with Mrs. Klein.

We then put in 45 minutes of math lessons.  
Here are today’s math lessons:
What is great that besides our time with the math lessons in class, the students worked about 30 minutes on www.ixl.com and they were working on the 5th grades skills related to this chapter.  Students were being exposed to order of operations, variables and solving algebraic expressions.  

We returned to the technology lab and actively watched and took notes on the following videos:
First:
Continue with our Khan lessons on Singapore.
Click here for today's lesson 3a, unit 1 part 4
Second:
Then watch this video on variables and expressions.
Third:
Watch this important video about school and your future. <

If you get some time, I really recomend watching the third video.  Many of the students had laugh but they also took some important information from it as well.  

After lunch they had U.A. time with Mrs. Cargo.

CNN student news.
Civil unrest in Libya
The damage in Mexico due to Hurricane Jova.
It has been a year since the Chilean miners were rescued.  
Hispanic Heritage Month is being celebrated throughout the U.S.

Finally we ended the day discussing the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, collecting free-writes, showing some amazing vocabulary mini-posters and handing out their school photos.  

Final note, kids and parents have asked about my ear.   Modern medicine is an amazing thing.  I have had four prior ear tube “surgeries” in my life and they always involved them having me put out and then the tube inserted.  On Tuesday they gave me a shot “inside” my ear, waited for it to kick in, they then spring cleaned the inside of my ear (I have had a month long ear-infection) and my Dr. then inserted the tube.   Within seconds I heard better out of my ear than I had in about year and half.   Once the shot wore off I had some heavy discomfort however 48 hours later, I feel great.  Wow!!

If your son/daughter would like to dunk me on Friday, I will be at the dunk tank from 5:00-5:30.  

Kind regards,

Mr. Hubbard
Use my Gmail account and you can make me your coach on http://www.khanacademy.org/class_profile

Homework for the week:

Math
Page 119-120 1-31 odd due on Friday

Click here for this week’s words for the Friday test

Grammar due Friday
P.B. 108,109,110

Free-Write due Friday
Let me describe for you the ultimate Halloween candybar.  

Book Card is due on October 28th.
Click here for the book card instructions and due dates

Science homework:  Pages 174-177

No comments:

Post a Comment