Monday, August 14, 2017

Day 1 is in the books....

It was a great day getting to know the newest group that I will spend the next 291 days forming a learning community. Yes, you have 291 days from your son or daughter becomes a middle schooler.

Supplies for days....
The first day often involves sleepy students with enthusiasm that sort of gets derailed as "we" as a class handles how to decipher all of the school supplies. We talk about what is donated and what is not given and how they may want to handle the items that they keep.  At this point, they want to keep a 3-ring binder, at least one folder, one math note book, one college ruled notebook and an envelope to hold their one to three pencils, one pen, one to two highlighters, and their markers if they choose to keep them. The extra notebooks (graphing and college ruled) may be left at home.

Items that we could still use donated to the class -- scissors. I have exactly six in my class so for art projects it would be great to have more scissors. Also, colored printing paper would be wicked awesome. Like I did tonight, in an ideal world I would send home important "please don't lose" form in a particular color. Then I could tell the parents, "hey, look for the orange colored handout in the backpack."

Long story, long....supplies take a lot longer than you imagine.

We did discuss eating in class, privileges versus rights,  using the restroom rules, changes to the bell schedule, and how to line up and go to lunch.  We also fleshed out my life and who "IS" Mr. Hubbard. Students are now well versed in my life, my likes/dislikes and where I came from.  We did do some dancing to Michael Jackon, invent some new handshakes, create some dance moves and have some movement. Finally, we did get onto the Chromebooks, joined my Google Classroom, and they answered an easy question. We also discussed our theme of "Today You, Tomorrow Me."

Please complete this quick survey, and it really does help me out. 

Also, if for some reason my brightly colored letter didn't make it home, here is my welcome message. 


Kind regards,
Mr. Hubbard

No comments:

Post a Comment